All Strength and Balance Classes are held at our Burleigh Heads Physio Clinic
Our strength and balance classes offer a safe and enjoyable form of exercise specifically designed to prevent falls. They involve small group classes of 6-8 people and are run by and accredited exercise physiologist. The small class format allows us to design programs tailored to the individual with close supervision for effectiveness.
The class duration is 50 minutes and is run in a circuit style. The components include bodyweight, resistance and balance specific exercises; all of which can be modified to your individualised requirements.
Benefits of our Strength and Balance Classes Include:
- Building strength in the legs and hips to prevent falling
- Building strength and to get up and down off the floor
- Improving your walking pattern to prevent tripping
- Increasing strength in the trunk and arms to help with moving around and doing task at home and outside.
In addition to the benefits of exercise, our exercise physiologist can assist in identifying other factors that may impact your balance and falls risk. These include vision such as cataracts and multifocal glasses, pain, some heart problems, hazards around the home and certain medications that may cause drowsiness, dizziness and lack of awareness.
Research has shown the exercise program needs to be:
- Regular 1-2hrs per week
- The balance challenges must be sufficiently difficult and gradually increasing in difficulty to maintain improvement.
The Process for Joining Strength and Balance Classes
- Book to attend a 1 on 1 session with our exercise physiologist for an initial assessment. This will provide a baseline measure to monitor your improvement. We will inform you if you need to see your GP before joining the class.
- You may also be covered for all or part of your assessment cost by DVA or under Medicare through an Enhanced primary Care plan (EPC). You would need to see your GP for these referrals prior to your assessment.
- After successfully completing the above steps you are ready to join our class.
What to Bring and Wear
H2O, comfortable clothing and enclosed shoes. If you are a diabetic, we ask that you know your blood sugar level before coming to class and bring your monitor.
you have private health insurance or a DVA gold card you may be able to claim a rebate from your health care provider for Group Exercise Physiology. Please check with your insurer.
have HICAPS onsite for immediate claiming.
Please contact us for further information or to book.