Onero is a groundbreaking bone building program developed by The Bone Clinic.
Onero is Latin for “load” or “burden” and that’s what bone needs to maintain or improve its mass. Unfortunately, most of us don’t do enough correct loading and then we see the bone loss. If you don’t use it, you lose it! -as the saying goes.
This loading needs to done in a specific way and, to be done safely, you need close supervision from people who have specific training. That’s where Burleigh Heads Physiotherapy Centre can help.
It’s very exciting to have a proven intervention to offer people who are interested in improving their bone health (1,2).
We have an exclusive licence from The Bone Clinic in Brisbane so you can access this program right here in Burleigh, Gold Coast! We are contributing data to their ongoing research on Onero.
Our Gold Coast Physio practice utilizes a proven bone building program designed by researchers at Griffith University, Parklands and at The Bone Clinic. All of our physiotherapists, exercise scientists and exercise physiologists who participate in this training program have completed further education provided by The Bone Clinic.
Ready to start? Call 5535 5218
How can we help?
Bone building relies on many different factors eg diet, weight bearing exercise, vitamin D and medications among others.
We can help assess a few of these factors under the one roof. We have a team comprised of physiotherapists, a dietician and an exercise physiologist to provide you with a comprehensive look at your current status and we work out a plan specific for your better bone health.
The research has shown that you need to do at least 2 bone targeted classes per week to get gains in bone mass.
- Complete the Pre-exercise screening tool (available from our Reception) so we can determine whether you need to see your GP before you start with us.
- Once you have returned your pre-screening forms to us, if you don’t need to see your GP first, we’ll ring you to book you in for your initial assessments.
- Before starting you’ll require
- Dietitian consultation 45 mins
- Physiotherapy consultation 50 mins
- EOS scan (bulk billed) to measure your thoracic angle and for a bone density (DXA) if you haven’t had one.
Please note – Private health rebates do apply for the assessments or you may be eligible for the Chronic Disease Management (or EPC) program under Medicare which will give you rebates on the physio and dietician interventions. Ask your GP if you are eligible.
After you have been following the exercise program for 12 months, we recommend a review with the dietician, physio and another DXA scan to examine how effective it has been.
We currently run classes on Monday and Wednesday evenings, and Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
Our 30 minute classes are limited to 4 people.
Please contact reception to book your preferred times.
All classes are held at our Burleigh Heads Physio Clinic
Media for ONERO
Bad Bones – Australian Physiotherapy Association Journal “In Motion”
Cairns septuagenarian with osteoporosis does heavy lifting to improve bone density
1. Watson SL, Weeks BK, Weis L, Horan SA, and Beck BR (2015) Heavy resistance training is safe and improves bone, function and stature in postmenopausal woman with low to very low bone mass: Novel early findings from the LIFTMOR trial. Osteoporosis International, 2015, DOI 10.1007/s00198-015-3263-2.
2. Beck BR, Weeks BK, Weis LJ, Harding A, Horan S, Watson SL: Restoring Standing Height: Yet Another Beneift of Exercise for the Osteoporosis. ASBMR 2015 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washinton, USA, Oct 9-12, 2015.